Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Week #13 December 30, 2013

Merry Christmas! & A Happy New Year from McCall!
         Well,  first Christmas out on the mission was awesome! We pretty much spent the whole day with two different families! It was great to just kick back and relax for a little bit. Talking with the family was so awesome! I still think that it is so cool that we were able to Skype! I'm sure missionary work is lots different than it was 50 years ago! I'm grateful to be serving when and where I am this day!

We spent Christmas morning with the Lenord's, They are awesome! Plus they have a little boy named TJ, ( I think that says it all! haha.)  We had a lot of fun there watching the little kids open gifts!  We got lots of gifts as well! Lots of much needed socks/thermals/fox stuff from the family! It all made me so happy! On Christmas Eve we ate with 4 different families! At the Leedom's house we played some fun games and they even got us some sweet sweaters that say McCall on them! I was way excited for that! (because I didn't expect it & the sweaters are pretty cool!) Christmas night we went over to our bishop's and had a very fancy feast! It was sooo good! I was really happy they let us be a part of their family for 5 hours! haha. We even played Taboo and Pictionary. ( so I felt I was right at home!) Overall it was as good as it could have been without being home with my family!

The rest of the week was a little tough to find people to teach because everyone was out of town. Or we would run into people who were up visiting their second homes. The highlights of the week were Christmas Eve/ Christmas day, and then we had an awesome Sunday yesterday! Thursday night Bishop asked us if we could speak in sacrament meeting. So that is exactly what we did yesterday! It went very very well! We both spoke on Missionary work. This is actually the third time I have spoke in this ward in the last 2.5 months!  It was interesting because there was over 400 people at sacrament. (we usually have about 80) there were soo many visitors! Even still the talks went great! After we were done there was a lady that came up to me and said she was from San Diego, & that "it was the best talk she has heard in years, and that it was exactly what she needed to hear!" woah! that brings me to the lesson I learned this week. "Put 100% of your trust into the spirit."  I just think it is awesome how often the lord uses us to answer someone's prayer! As long as we are willing to trust in the promptings of the spirit and act on them!

Another funny thing. . one of the Young Women in the ward came up and shook E. Young's hand, and told him he did a good job. Then turned to me and said the same, but she totally just gave me a big hug! haha. I put my hands straight up in the air and was like. "TIME OUT!" she turned bright red! I shook her hand and thanked her. It was super funny though!

We had quite a few investigators at church which is always good! During the service one of them had a seizure! (He has epilepsy) I felt bad because it was the first time he came to church! But he is planning on coming next week! Oh! also I ran into Sam Tams! (I went to school with him!) It was kinda strange to see someone that I know! But it was still great! Needless to say, it was a very eventful Sunday!

Later that night I learned a little more about following the spirit!  We had run out of people to visit, but still had 1.5 hours before we would head home! So as we sat in the parking lot trying to think of someone we could drop in on, I pulled out the phone and started scrolling though the contacts. It was less than 30 seconds before I came across Sarah's name!  Right as I saw it I had the strongest impression to go visit her! (we have been trying to catch her for 3 weeks) I Called her up and she said that she just had surgery on her mouth and really needed us to come visit because she was feeling a little down! We ended up going over and sharing an awesome message and have a return appointment to start the lessons! It is awesome how when you learn to fully trust in the lord he will lead and guide you in what to say and do! (I'm still learning!)

So this is the last week of the transfer! I guess there is a possibility I will be training next week! I'm excited for then new transfer as well as the new year! It will give me a lot of motivation to improve on things I know I need to!  Well, I hope you all had a fantastic Christmas! And I hope you have a great start to a new year!   Church is true!
     - Elder Maynard!

No comments:

Post a Comment